Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Getting Yelled At

Yesterday my kids missed the bus. Since it was only their second day at a new school I happily drove to the school to pick them up. As I approached a bus that was stopped, the bus driver (who happened to be our bus driver) waved me down to stop. Seeing that the kids were safely off the bus I rolled down my window and stopped to talk with him. I thought he had some information on why my kids missed the bus. Anyway, as I got closer he yelled stop, stop STOP. By this point his face was really red and he was obviously mad. What I thought was him wanting to talk to me was really a motion to stop until he had shut the bus door. Yeah, I know, pretty dumb of me not to have thought of that. I was a little distracted about the kids missing the bus and wondered if they would be safe standing outside the school waiting for me. Anyway, even after I profusely apologized he was still obviously mad. He impatiently waved me to move along. As I drove on I felt that terrible "being yelled at" feeling. You know the one, someone hates you (or at least it seems that way) when you didn't intentionally make a mistake. You even apologized for your mistake and they are still holding it against you. It made me think about my own yelling I sometimes do at home. I thought the kids probably feel the same way, like they're hated. I think speaking kindly to them even while dealing out consequences will help them feel happier and better about themselves in the long run. Sometimes when I yell at Grant (seems the thing to do when he's wielding a sharp knife) he just lays down and cries. He obviously doesn't understand and doesn't really deserve to be yelled at. So I'm determined not to yell anymore.

8 comments:

Tami said...

Last year my new year's resolution was no more yelling. Unfortunately I failed many times, and my kids frequently reminded me that my goal was not to yell at them. They keep me humble, and I'm still working on it!

Did everything work out with your move?

Jan said...

I hate getting yelled at, too. The same with getting flipped off. I had one girl cut me off once (it was INSANE how she did it without spinning me out) and then she laughed at me in her mirror and flipped me off. I hate confrontation and hate how I stew about it for hours afterwards. That's really great that you make it a learning opportunity, though, rather than my typical "stew and feel worse" method! Good for you!

Swimmingmom said...

Awww, you must have felt bad being treated that way. Good that you were able to make it into a positive learning moment for yourself though! I HATE being yelled at. Worst feeling in the world. I hate feeling like I failed or made a mistake or made someone else unhappy.

As a side note, can't wait to see pics of your new house!

Libby said...

Hmm. You make some good points. I always mean to stop yelling, but I have given up on setting it as a goal. Don't like setting myself up for failure. :o) I will have to work on that one a little harder, I think.

Jamie said...

Yes, you're right some goals are harder to keep than others. But I'm thinking I'll be more motivated not to yell considering I've just been yelled at and the feelings it created are still pretty fresh. I guess I'm not going to be hard on myself if I'm not perfect at not yelling, I'm just thinking I could do a heck of a lot better.

Trueman twins said...

What a great lesson and reminder! Sometimes after I have bursted out yelling I see such a sad look of the kids face. It makes me feel like a complete moron and then I resolve not to do it for a long time.
Did he apologize to you yet? What an uncomfortable situation!

Angela said...

What a yucky 2nd day that is the worst feeling. I love it when after I make a similar yelling mistake and Benji so readily accepts my apology and hugs. So humbling, Children are a blessing.

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling too. Sorry you had to go through that. But I have never thought about the yelling from a kids' perspective. Although sometimes I know they understand why I am yelling ie: looking at me to gauge my reaction while picking a nose, I do need to stop yelling so much.