Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spring Decluttering

Last month I read a book called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui. It wasn't my favorite decluttering book (which is still Lose 200 Lbs. this Weekend by the funny Don Aslett) but it WAS motivating. Just as a side note, the author of the Feng Shui book talked about clearing your colon, which was kind of surprising and funny. She was totally serious but I thought it was funny. Anyway, here are the basic questions the book suggests to ask yourself while dejunking:


1. Does it (the stuff) lift my energy when I think about it or look at it?
2. Do I absolutely love it?
3. Is it genuinely useful?

So I got rid of several things that were once useful and no longer are, including 10 year old college textbooks that I loved once but have not cracked open since I graduated from college 10 years ago. Plus I can easily find the information elsewhere when I need it. I got rid of enough books and magazines that I ended up selling a 6 foot bookshelf. YAY! I made $85 selling the bookshelf and other once useful but now dust collecting items. It feels good--real good (think Nacho Libre). I'm planning on hitting every closet and room during the month of March. Anybody with me?


I wish I had a before and after picture for you but this is my beautiful sewing room/piano studio, the area I've decluttered so far. I feel so happy every time I walk into it. Now if I can just keep it this clean.







I'm going to have to do something about that cluttery look under the table.


11 comments:

Liz said...

Feel free to come practice your de-cluttering skills at our house anytime :)

sara said...

It looks great! I still have college textbooks too and then wonder why there's no room on the bookshelves :) I think with items like that, that have been sitting there for years and years, we don't even "see" them because they have become part of the normal decor.

Thanks for the inspiration!

leigh said...

will you trade decluttering for sewing?

birdeeb said...

I agree with Liz! Hey any ideas on how to get rid of paper piles?? They are SO ANNOYING in my house!!

Katie said...

That room does look a lot better. It didn't look bad before, but it looks even better. Nice work.

Charlotte said...

Lovely! I love the art on your walls, too.

tralina said...

You are a motivating person! Good job (is that the room the kids toys were in before?) How nice to have a space for all of your fun things. I reserved the Lose 200 lbs from the library. My problem with reading those types of books, is that WHILE I am reading them, they are very motivating, but soon after I stop, I revert to just being me. I'm still thinking about what you wrote about not sitting around and reading all day-you really do get more done. Now with your ultimate workroom--I'll look forward to all your posts about the awesome things you are making. Good job!

Jamie said...

Birdie--more to come on paper clutter.

Tralina, try one page a day of 200 lbs book. Its entertaining and motivating. Laugh and declutter is the way to go.

the other emily said...

Yay! It is looking beautiful. I fianlly got Marty motivated enough to help me organize the garage. We got all the bikes hung up and junk thrown out. It is hands down my favorite "room" in the house. I joke with people about how I want to go and just sit in my clutter free garage, but it is true. I love it :) I too am decluttering my house. Hope to post my own success soon :) Good luck with the rest of your house!

jhoopes said...

Sounds like the perfect March thing to do. I have some of those college textbooks lying around that seem to be so useful...(went to college before the internet was so popular)!!

the room looks great!!

Jen said...

I've started decluttering too...only I'm not nearly as fast as you. Started in January with the laundry room (which still has cupboard space now for my "lay flat to dry" clothes) and moved on to the computer desk. I found coupons from when we moved in here 2 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately that's all I've gotten done...still need to do windows, our closet, the playroom, the craft closet, the sewing room, etc. etc. etc. Doubt most of it will get done very soon (since the garden will be calling my name), but it's good to know there's plenty to keep me busy when I just need to declutter (haha)!