Friday, February 6, 2009

a GOOD MOM day

As we walked home from taking dinner to a neighbor's house last night we saw our neighbor taking out the garbage.

Neighbor: "looks like you guys have had a lot of fun today."

Me: "every once in a while we have a really good day."

Neighbor: "I love my children (all grown and gone) but I miss my kids."

Me: "You know where to find mine if you need them."

The thing is it was a GREAT day. Why?
  • I road scooters with the kids at two different times of the day.
  • We read stories.
  • I took a nap with Grant. Well I only slept for 10 minutes and he slept for an hour.
  • I quilted while Grant and Alex had a bean bag toss that I initiated.
  • I made dinner.
  • I didn't yell at all even when Grant was hysterical about not wanting his hair washed. I draw the line at 3 weeks. You can go for 3 but no more without a hair washing.
  • I talked nicely and tried t help the kids--sometimes its just too overwhelming to help.
  • I sang and talked to the kids at bedtime about what they liked about the day.
  • transmission is being rebuilt in my car so I've been without one for a few days.

Why not have this day every day?
  • I need to take care of our failing MA house--so much to do.
  • I drive myself too hard to get stuff done.
  • I forget what makes me happy--being a good mom.
  • lots of errands to run
  • doing all my projects and still feeling like I haven't had any time to myself.

8 comments:

Kate said...

I LOVE Good Mom days. And unfortunately for me and my kids, they don't happen often enough. Thanks for the reminder!

tralina said...

You are a great mom! I bet your kids will have great memories of songs and such at bedtime. Good for you to take the time to do it. I can identify with your other reasons too. I guess that's why we have to be balanced. Thanks for the reminder!

Tami said...

What a great day! Way to go. I wish every day was a good mom day here, but they take conscious effort and a lot of patience. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jan said...

Your very last point is a biggie with me. I really feel like I have to have a few moments for myself each day. Otherwise I feel like a robot and what's the fun in that?

Unless, of course, you're Number 5. or Wall E.

But I'm not. :)

Renee said...

I love your insights and wisdom Jamie. I miss seeing you!! I've loved catching up with you through your blog. Thanks for sharing! Renee

Trueman twins said...

I love days like that. They helped to recenter your life and remind you what is REALLY important!

Christy said...

I love that you made and wrote out a list of your great day. I haven't don't that in years, but it make such a difference in attitude and perspective when we do. Glad you FELT you got things done! (even when you always do anyway)

erin said...

jamie-is there anything I can do to help out with your house out here??