Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"More Dim Dee Pease"







Carl has been a great influence on the kids where food is concerned. Because he makes Korean food at least a few times a year my kids love seaweed. Every single one of them. In fact, sometimes they take it in their school lunch. Grant will gobble it down like cookie monster. Though I can't stomach it I'm really glad my kids eat it, especially Grant who is generally very selective. When Carl makes a Korean dinner there is always Kim Chi--fermented cabbage with red pepper. Every time he brings it out (it always lasts a few weeks) to put it on his burrito, enchilada, salad etc. the kids say things like, "oh sick . . . don't put it there dad, its too close to my face . . . that stinks." Recently though, Jordan has tasted the stuff and loves it. Grant asked to try it last week (weird since it doesn't resemble chicken nuggets, ice cream or pizza) and he LOVED it. "More Dim Dee Mom," he kept asking in between gulps of water (the stuff is full of red pepper and pretty spicy).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had kim-chee since I lived in NY. It's one of my favorite foods..the spicier the better! Hope you are doing well!!

Anonymous said...

that is so cute! what a funny kid.

Swimmingmom said...

How funny! I suppose you just never know what kids will try and like! Fun tradition that Karl has established too.

Trueman twins said...

I'm impressed! The last picture is the best! Too funny! I always tell the kids they have to try a food BEFORE they can call it disgusting. After that if they still don't like it so be it!

Christy said...

So great that Carl can share some of his life experiences with the family! It was such an important time in his life, I bet he loves reminiscing.
Seaweed is so healthy too!

nanci said...

I think it's amazing that your children will eat some of those Korean foods. They are brave children! It's great that Carl shares his missionary experience with the family in that way.