Monday, October 26, 2009

a couple of new jobs



Job 1: Part Time Cleavers: I've started babysitting K and B (siblings). K is here 4 days a week for around 9 hours a day while B is in school with the other kids most of the day. Its probably the easiest babysitting job I've ever had. Grant and K get along really well together. She comes up with the ideas and he is happy to execute them. Though they make several messes a day, they have keep themselves happily busy.


Job 2: Piano teacher-to homeschoolers. I love this job! I can fit 3 kids in one hour (while the older kids are at school). Students rotate through 3 stations: 20 minutes regular 1 on 1 lesson, 20 minutes computer theory (love this program) and 20 minutes of learning about a composer, listening to music by him and taking a quiz (crossword/word search type). Its a well rounded approach to piano and the kids learn so much more and love coming to lessons (so their mothers tell me). A 20 minute lesson is so much more bearable for kids and teachers anyway. Plus I've got my own kids practicing (Katie's up to 3 hours in 4 days) in order to get the Oriental Trading Co. incentives. All I have to do now is find more students!

7 comments:

Renee said...

Jamie!! I wish we were closer. I would LOVE for my kids to take lessons from you! Do you teach your own kids??? How do you do it?

Charlotte said...

Wow. That's about all I can say. Wow. You truly are a superwoman.

Jamie said...

Renee, I wish you were closer too. I do teach my own kids and so far its working great on this new program. I love it!

sara said...

Yay for piano! I'm so glad you've been able to find some homeschoolers to teach; I need to swap out some regular-schoolers for some homeschoolers so I'm not so busy teaching in the afternoons.

About the composers/listening station... I just found out from a 15-yr-old student of mine that she likes that station best because she likes to switch it to the radio & listen while she does worksheets. Little sneaker! :)

LL said...

thanks for your nice comment the other day about the memories of the Lewis fam :)
We miss you guys, our kids still talk about "little Grant"
Glad you guys are doing well!!!

jhoopes said...

You are a busy and very productive woman!! :) Impressive!

the other emily said...

That is awesome Jamie. I would love to send you Ben! He enjoys playing our piano but I haven't been able to talk him into taking lessons yet. What is the computer theory program you are using? Maybe I could get him interested in that...