Friday, April 9, 2010

21 days #2

My list making 21 days was pretty successful. I've been a lot more productive, especially with my time with the kids. I've also been able to put my reading in check for the most part (or is it because I'm not reading a book I totally love right now).

21 days #2 is peacemaking. This includes not gossiping which is really tricky. There are so many excuses for talking about people and I find myself saying too often, "I love Cindy but..." I actually don't know anyone named Cindy but you get the idea.

I was thinking the other day how peacekeeping and peacemaking are two different things. Peacekeeping connotes that there was peace to begin with. Peacekeeping really isn't very hard its peacemaking, making peace out of chaos, that is the challenge. I think of how sometimes my reaction to a crying child actually escalates the emotions of the house. Here are some scriptures my kids and I are trying to commit to memory in order to help us practice making peace.

Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger."

Romans 12:21 "Be not overcome of evil but overcome evil with good."

Matthew 5:44 "But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, go good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

Romans 12:14 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another."

5 comments:

tralina said...

Thanks for the tips. The "lose 200 lbs in a weekend" was a great book. Now I walk around and look at everything and say--Do I love this? Do I use this? Does this make me happy and help me in my daily life? It's much easier to get rid of things after asking those questions. Good luck peacemaking.

Charlotte said...

You're such a good woman and a good mom.

emily said...

Aunt Cindy. I'm telling her you were talking about her.

Trueman twins said...

As I read this I can hear the kids upstairs definitely NOT peacemaking or peacekeeping!
My favorite quote is:
Peace
It does not mean to be in a place
where there is no noise, trouble or hard work
It means to be in the midst of those things and still
be calm in your heart.

I have it by the computer to remind me...

jhoopes said...

So, so true! Reactions as a mom feed or kill the fire. So true, but sometimes so hard!! :) Awesome aspirations.