Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Old Dog Update

Some of you were wondering what happened to Cooper, our yippy, white dog. We didn't actually give him to an unsuspecting family member. It turns out they asked for him. We were planning on driving him all the way to his original home sometime in June but since someone wanted him for their daughter, we (actually Carl) willingly gave him up. The only problem is this particular family came to visit while Katie, Jordan and I were running errands. They asked for Cooper out of the blue and Carl sent him home with them. He thought it would be fun to see how long it took the kids to notice he was gone. Big mistake. At bedtime Katie asked with terror in her eyes, "where's Cooper? I've looked all over for him and can't find him anywhere. His kennel is gone too." I started looking around with her, not knowing what in the world went on a few hours before. Finally Carl (who at first acted like he didn't know either) tells us what happened. Katie was in tears (Cooper used to sleep in her bed). Alex, who was there when Cooper was given to the cousins, also remembered the entire bad experience and cried for the second time that day (so Carl told me). Of course they were sad-to have their favorite furry guy taken away from them so suddenly. It was shocking. They needed more preparation. Carl is neither sentimental nor emotional so he had no idea that giving away the dog would be such a problem (still doesn't probably). Though I felt bad for the kids and totally understood their sadness I can't tell you how happy I was that Cooper was gone. Is it okay to smile and feel bad at the same time that one of my favorite family members is listening to endless howling, yipping and dealing with chewed up underwear. So happy it isn't me.

4 comments:

leigh said...

Okay - one last disagreement from me: Carl IS sentimental AND emotional. After all - isn't he the one who just got his own childhood best friend back and named her the same exact name? Just saying. I promise - no more disagreeing.

Charlotte said...

Poor kids. Shame on Carl for getting rid of the dog that way and then pretending not to know where the dog was! But I'm happy for you--I can't stand yippy dogs.

LOVE the sweater in your previous post.

emily said...

that's a really sad story. i bet katie and alex will always remember it. sometimes people just get attached to their dogs . . .

Eli and Candace said...

Ouch! Does Carl have a heart?!?! J/K! My dad reacts the same way. When my cat that I'd had for 18 years disappeared my dad found her rigamortis body weeks later and told us (happily) he'd found her out by her bowl... eating. Yes, he laid her cold hard body next to her bowl and dragged us all out there to see it. Some men just don't get it.