Thursday, January 28, 2010

Productive

Here's a list of things I accomplished the other day:

  • exercised 1 hour
  • studied the scriptures
  • showered/got ready for the day (doesn't always happen)
  • planned dinner
  • washed 3 loads of laundry and had them folded and put away in a 12 hour period (if that had been the only thing accomplished that day it would have been a miracle all by itself)
  • volunteered at school for 1 hour
  • went grocery shopping
  • worked on a costume that I need to wear this Friday (more about that later maybe)
  • started crocheting a slipper (my friend is teaching me--its an effort to cut down on holes in the boys socks)
  • got caught up on the finances
  • cleaned the kitchen
  • made sure the kids finished their jobs
  • taught 2 piano lessons
  • taught the lesson for Family Night (its every Monday night)
  • sang to the kids (don't always have energy for this on a really busy day)

When that day was over I wondered, "why was I so productive this ONE day." Here is the 1 reason I can think of:

I DIDN'T READ ALL DAY

I've read 5 books since January started and have not gotten very much done (except for the coat). I guess I was just due for some hard work. Now, its true that I can never get away without doing ANYTHING. I still wash dishes throughout the day, make meals, clean here and there, respond to email, help kids with school work, hound them to get their other housework done, etc. But when I'm reading I'm sort of on autopilot. I just to the minimum and don't really think about anything but the wonderful fake character in the books I'm reading, often responding to repeated questions, "what did you say, I was thinking about something." So the whole list thing is a reminder of what I can get done every once in a while. I figure reading over the list in the future will produce one of the following responses:

  • I'll hate that productive Jamie, because I haven't been as productive since
  • I'll remember that I probably didn't spend any good quality time with the kids if I was so productive
  • I'll think its worth reading for 10 days straight as long as I'm this productive on the 11th day

6 comments:

Casey said...

It's okay Productive Jamie, you were probably just reading Hunger Games and Catching Fire and for that, no one can fault you.

Swimmingmom said...

That was quite the list of productivity. The laundry truly is an accomoplishment within itself! So so great that you enjoy reading so much. Maybe you could have a system of reading for 7 days, and then have 1 productivity day, and then start the cycle again :-)

Trueman twins said...

Way to go! I love those days when you seem to get it all done. So many others are not like that. I know what you mean about reading. When I am absorbed in a book it kinda overtakes everything else. Things get halfway done or brushed to the side. I love to read and it is definitely a good thing. The only way I could find balance is only reading at night after the kids went to bed.

Amanda said...

I'm blown away. I'll hope for a day like this today:)

tralina said...

Good for you! What a good list and reminder about being a Franklin kind of gal. But I think it's still OK to read a good book at night as a reward :)

Charlotte said...

Go with thought number 3. And may I add, I have never had a day as productive as that one in all my life. Did you get up at 3 AM and not stop until 10 PM? You're wonder woman.