Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cleaver Rules Song

While decluttering I found the following Cleaver Rules Song we made up one summer day (2006 I think) while driving home from piano lessons on the windy roads of Charlton MA.

To the tune of Yankee Doodle

Wash your hands before you eat.
No jumping on the couch.
Don't forget to say your prayers.
Don't hurt or pester your siblings.
Don't scream in the house,
unless there's an emergency.
Whining is a serious crime.
Be cheerful all the time.

Verse 2
No tattling unless it is
dangerous or destructive.
Serve others before yourself.
Don't take things out of people's hands.
If you can't say something nice
don't say nothing at all.
Respond when spoken to.
That is all the rules to do.

Although many of the rules were hard to follow such as "be cheerful all the time" the kids thought up almost all of the rules. Its funny that the rules the kids thought of were the ones they especially had a hard time with. For example Alex thought of "no jumping on the couch" and "don't take things out of people's hands." He happen to be the only one that had a difficult time with these before making the rules song. If we were to make a song again I think we'd do more general rules and attach some consequence right in the song.

3 comments:

Trueman twins said...

Love it! Although you might add an addedum that that is NOT ALL of the rules just most! My kids would say well it's not in the song so it must be okay!
Hey have you heard that song about all the things that a mom has to do or tell her kids to do in one day? It is hysterical!

Jamie said...

Lisette, true true. That is not actually all the rules to do. We probably could have gone another 7 verses which is we should have been more general.

If you mean the Lone Ranger theme song with words. Yes, I have heard that and think its very funny!

birdeeb said...

I love this! I always love to make up songs with my kids ;o) I did one to the tune of, "Daddy's Homecoming" from the primary book.

"I'm ready for Benjamin to get out of the tub...I clap my hands & say get out or I will spank your bum....get your towel all wet cause then that will mean your dry....brush your teeth & get your jammas on.......and close your eyes!"

Ben LOVES that one ;o) Especially the part where I clap my hands & then point my finger like I am bossy saying I would spank his bum LOL ;o) Good times...my kids are always making up words now to different songs. SO cute!

I am not sure if I have added this story to my blog...Think I will go do that haha ;o)