Monday, November 3, 2008

THE PLAN

I'm one of those people who loves a plan. Schedules generally make me very happy (until I overscheulde). Its funny that several of my friends are the opposite, especially Carl. "What time do you plan on coming home?" I ask. "Later" or "In a while," Carl says. "Could you give me a more specific time?" I ask (very sweetly). "Around 9:00" he says. I should learn not to ask for a time because he never gets home at the time he says. Instead of planning the evenings around Carl's no schedule I decided to make my own plan and stick to it. Our nightly routine is as follows:

6:00 clean for 15 minutes (I can't tell you how happy I am when this happens)
6:30 eat dinner
7:00 clean up dinner and pjs
7:30 scriptures
8:00 reading and lullabies

I am getting better at being flexible. If dinner happens at 6:36 I can deal with it, with a few deep breaths. No, just kidding I'm getting so much better I don't even have to watch my breathing.

So here's the plan for today:

Stay happy by expecting several arguments and a few tantrums. Know it will take Grant getting out of bed at least 3 times before he falls asleep for his nap.

Organize and declutter the storage room.

That shouldn't be too hard right? I just have two things. Totally doable.

This weeks plan:
Finish up 5 Christmas presents.

8 comments:

Diana said...

I love to plan and schedule too. I know, not a big surprise. You probably already knew that.

Jodi said...

That's a great idea to plan your schedule instead of planning around spouses. I think I'll try that, because Jesus comes home "later," as well. I think that will help a lot!:)

LL said...

you have inspired me, really!
i LOVE scheduoles, Chris SO doesn't cooperate.
I will make my OWN!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I love organization, I hate spontaneous, random things popping up to make my day go haywire. Howard used to tease me by saying, "You try to be so organized, you even plan spontaneity." I have learned how to be more flexible, but find that sometimes chaos has its limits. I love your plan. May I use it as a guideline for my family?

Christy said...

See! You still have organization in your loose schedule plan! You are so good at that. I taught on my house is a house of order on Sunday..you totally kept coming to mind!

Trueman twins said...

I am with you I love schedules! If I have my schedule down then I can deviate from it if need be, but I have to have the intial plan down first. It is comforting.
When Paul worked at Circuit city in the roadshop dept. I would always ask if that was "roadshop time" (usually 1/2 to 1 hour later) or regular time.

Anonymous said...

I gave up trying to plan things because nothing I plan ever happens. I instead like to make a daily list. Even if I can only get one thing crossed off my list, it is one less thing on the list tomorrow. I too have had to learn to live with "Marty" time. Which always seems to run about 30 minutes off of normal time. :)

leigh said...

I laughed when you said you're getting flexible when dinner happens at 6:36. Come on, you're not that bad!

I was talking to Julie about our common thing of having to get stuff done and she said, "it's your strength AND your weakness." Too true. I am glad we get lots of stuff done, but I wish I could be nicer when everything doesn't get done how and when I want it to.