Friday, May 29, 2009

GIRL TRIP 2009 SEATTLE

Beware: this post is longer than all last month's posts put together.

This was the 3rd annual Girl's Trip. We had one sister-in-law missing and one new sister-in-law in attendance.

Day 1 Shopping in Bellevue & dinner at Melting Pot. It was my first and probably last trip (too expensive) to the Melting Pot. We ate just cheese and chocolate. It was SOOOOOO good.




Emily' friend Ashley (yes, two Ashleys) joined us for dinner.


Day 2 Seattle Temple
Mom, Katie, Jamie, Ashley, Leigh. Emily didn't make it to this one.















Pikes Food Tour and shopping. This was the highlight of the trip. We had the most wonderful smoked salmon I'd ever tasted, really good mint (leaves) gelato, truffle oil, antipasto, really good doughnuts, cheese, and THE BEST clam chowder in the world. I've had a lot of clam chowder back in my New England days but nothing compared to that chowder at Pike's.



Listening to our guide tell us Pike's Place ghost stories. The lineup goes: Katie, Me (I know the shoes are really clownish) Leigh, Ashley, Emily, Xiao Ru a.k.a Shampoo (not really a blood relative but we all love her like a sister. She lives in Seattle and was with us for a couple of outings.)

Canoeing at University of Washington. We had some close calls on tipping canoes but everyone made it safe and dry back to shore. "Look there's a beaver!" (it turned out to be a dog). We rode through tons of lily pads. It was beautiful and relaxing even though Ashely had a hard time using her paddle correctly (ha ha ha).


This is Dane. He's our...uh...long lost sister I guess you could say. Actually, he's a friend of Emily's and helped us get to a few places that we otherwise wouldn't have found.


Panera Bread Sandwiches for dinner and a lot of chatting afterward. I haven't been to Panera for almost two years. I've missed that place.


Day 3 Church


We actually had two bathrooms but it was just nicer to congregate in 1.


Primitive Lunch--Emily had a friend make all this really good food (the sandwiches were fabulous) for lunch. We picked it up at Xiao Ru's where it was waiting and brought it to the Bellevue Botanical Gardens. Unfortunately we didn't think of utensils or water until we sat down and started eating. It was pretty funny and messy. Mom, for some strange reason had a spoon in her purse, which we used to serve the Bean and Corn salad and I had my gelato spoon which came in handy for the cutting of avocados.


Bellevue Botannical Gardens
Ashley didn't want to pose alone so I told her to pretend like Andy was there.
GAMES--not all the sisters participated in this activity (you know who you are). My longest lasting friend I keep in touch with regularly "the other Emily" drove at least 60 minutes (round trip) to come play games and eat candy with us. What a pal! She's one of those friends that even if you haven't seen her for several years you just pick up right where you left off.



Monks at St. Marks--They say they're not really monks but they dress and sing just like them. It was beautiful when they broke off into parts. I kept hoping they'd break out O Come Emanuel, guess it wasn't the right season for that.


Day 4 Memorial Day: Breakfast at Panera again. I had no idea that place has such good breakfast. We finished the trip up at NorthShore Learning.


Most of us felt like this by the end:




Things to remember:



  • Emily is an awesome planner of trips. Hopefully she'll be able to plan all future trips.


  • Getting two rooms next to each other works out really well. It might be necessary to get certain sisters their own rooms.


  • I get really giggly and silly around my sisters


  • Always carry at least one utensil in your purse


  • Boy's and other non sister friends must pre-qualify to be part of a girl's trip


  • Mom will always wake up early to exercise with me no matter how many hours of sleep she lacks.


  • After a few days together its easy to get crabby--"just be nice" I need to remind myself.

11 comments:

Jodi said...

That looks like it was so much fun! What a great idea! Cute pics and fun stuff!

Charlotte said...

I like your "clownish" blue shoes. What a fun trip! I'm going to suggest a similar outing for my female family members. I get silly and giggly around my sister, too. Finally, good for you for excercising so regularly! I'm just starting to do that, hoping it will help me be a happier mommy.

Trueman twins said...

What a great girl's trip! I haven't been to Pike's place since I was 18 and it brought back fond memories.
I like the things to remember part- especially the utensil part.

Tami said...

Girls' trips are wonderful! I'm so happy for you--so much fun! And, I have to agree with you about Panera--it's one of my favorite places, and I often get Panera cravings.

Libby said...

What a fun tradition! It's so neat that you and your sisters (and sisters-in-law) can have such close relationships.

Swimmingmom said...

How fun!!!! Looks like a fantastic trip. I loved seeing the pictures with your Mom- it's always neat to see what people look like. I would love to visit Seattle one day. Are you SURE about the clam chowda though?! Have you had any clam chower on the cape? Just had to put my NE plug in there :-)

Jamie said...

Swimmingmom, its true my NE chowda tasting is limited. We did go to the Boston Chowder Fest of 2003 or was it 2004? Those chowders were really good. I have had several other chowders as well. Its true I've never had chowder on the cape, so my experience is pretty limited.

nanci said...

Fun, fun, fun! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

the other emily said...

Jamie, it was such a blast to see you and your fam! It was a nice break for me too :) I am glad you had such an awesome trip. Looking forward to our next get together.

Liz said...

What a fantastic trip!! Also, I am in love with your cute church dress, where can I get one??!

birdeeb said...

I think my family needs to do this! Of course just girls! My sister was saying tonight that we need to do a sister trip without kids...I think that may be in the future (next year for sure!!) I am planning on going to Seattle...maybe a retreat thing? I loved your trip "Things to Remember" haha! And the canoe guy...Emily's "friend"?? hmmm haha! And I recognize Emily!! I am a friend like that as well haha ;o) At least I would like to think I was...I would totally drop everything to play games & eat candy!! Your family is beautiful! How did your parent's survive you beauties??