Saturday, October 25, 2008

confessions of a soccer mom

This is a picture of Grant who doesn't play soccer but would like to. He was posing in someones shin guards and shoes. I'm pretty sure the shin guards are much more comfortable when worn backwards.
You know those obnoxious parents that totally get into their 5-year old's soccer game? They do crazy things like yell, "Get on D Tony" or "That's your ball Suzy." So does Tony know what D means? It used to disgust me when hearing these things. I don't know what happened, but one day I turned into one of those parents. It was the day when Katie, for the first time, became aggressive and actually ran up the entire field almost scoring a goal. I was out of my seat yelling and was so into it that I almost ran onto the field and scored the goal myself. I quickly realized that I was making a great fool of myself and tried to remain seated for the rest of the game. I wasn't able to sit still. I was clenching my fists and gritting my teeth any time some great play was made. Since then during every game I find myself yelling "run up to the ball" or "go, go, go." I'm a completely different person during soccer games. I'm not typically the noisiest person but suddenly I'm a very competitive, loud watcher. I've discovered that the only way to stifle this behavior is to talk to another mom and not watch the game. That causes a problem when Jordan says, "mom did you see me score that goal." "No," I say. "I can't watch and be reasonable at the same time." No, just kidding, I haven't actually been able to NOT watch a game but I am totally distracted while talking to another parent. The only thing I have going for me is the kids love for me to yell stuff at them as long as I keep it nice and encouraging.

9 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hee, hee! This was our first year as soccer parents. I completely relate.

LL said...

FUNNY! everyone needs a cheering section and moms make the BEST cheerleaders.
GOOD FOR YOU! :)

Kate said...

We are WAY too loud. Often Quinten and I find ourselves yelling with a mean tone at our boys and getting frustrated... so I REALLY have to try to just cheer and be encouraging. I totally get this post though. :)

Christy said...

It is so hard to hold our own competitiveness in, it seems multiplied when watching our own children! I am the same too. I spent years perfecting my mom whistle just for that reason...pathetic...but always exciting!
BTW, the star wars force field is classic..and somewhat true.

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
what a great blog you've got going. You are a hilarious writer. I love it! We miss you guys and are wondering what holiday plans you have. Tell your 4 hi from ours. love Steff

birdeeb said...

Haha I am nervous for when my kids get into stuff like that... ;os I might be crazy & go cuddle them if they fall on the field ;o) I will have to hold myself back!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you guys are doing well...we do miss you though. Your blog is awesome!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I have seen totally quiet, non-assuming parents turn so quickly at a soccer game. One lady apologized to us last year. She said something like this: "I don't know what comes over me when I see them (she had twin daughters on the same soccer team) running for the goal. I keep thinking if I yell as hard as they are running, they will make the goal." I laughed. I could totally relate to what she was saying.

Trueman twins said...

That is so totally me at soccer games! Although I try and be very encouraging to all of the players on the team and even on the other team if I know them. The only way I am quiet is if I am visiting. At the beginning of the season Xander's team was having issues. Paul thought he would have to wear his sunglasses every week and pretend to watch. Because it was PAINFUL!