Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Five Love Languages of Children

I had to include this picture, though it really has nothing to do with this book. When I told Grant to kiss our friend Kylie (visiting from Massachusetts) I fully expected it to be a cheek kiss. Must have been Kylie's idea.

The Five Love Languages of Children gets five stars from me--what a mind expanding book. I realize The Five Love Languages has been out for quite a long time but this book applies specifically to children. So all the stories and ideas are about kids. I've tried to figure out what my kids' love languages are and it really has helped me to realize that I can never be equal with them since their needs are all so different--what a relief. As I've tried to do more than hug and say "I love you" its amazing how much happier they are. Authors Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell explain that everyone has a "love tank" that can be filled by all of these love languages but if you don't use the child's more prominent love language their tank will never be filled which will often lead to misbehavior and unhappiness. These are the Five Love Languages:

  • Quality Time--games, walks, reading stories
  • Words of Affirmation--notes, compliments, comments on blogs
  • Gifts--anything
  • Acts of Service--do I need to expand here
  • Physical Touch--includes high fives, wrestling, pats on the back

So what's your love language?

6 comments:

Jared said...

What a cute picture! I just love how uninhibited children are about expressing feelings. Pure love!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture! I know you already told me some ways you have implemented the 5 love languages, but it would be nice to keep hearing them, if you have more. It might help us in applying them.

Cheri said...

Wow, what good insights! I don't think I ever would have thought of the ways I show love. And I definitely don't fit most of those. Something to work on!

Trueman twins said...

Sounds like a great book. I'll have to see if the library has it.
I love the picture! Too cute!

leigh said...

it's on my nightstand . . .

smart mama said...

this is a good book-

I like the words of affirmation- blog comments-- LOL