Tuesday, April 7, 2009

differences

I thought when I had Katie that mothering would be easy because I already had almost 2 years under my belt and babies couldn't vary that much. How wrong I was. If I had 10 more kids I bet they would all be just as different as the first 4.

Here are some differences I've noticed in the kids:
Jordan-has a physics mind (noticeable even when he was really young). Ponders a lot-often during chore time. Great at math. Slow reader but comprehension is at 100%. Creative-draws made up creatures.

Katie-seems her greatest quality is SWEET. Doesn't feel the need to push herself. Totally layed back. Gets along with everyone. Has to be around people unless she is reading.

Alex-prefers playing by himself. Gets crabby when we have to go somewhere. Has to have incentives to get chores done. Needs a schedule--if you spring anything on him at the last minute he almost always falls apart. Loves being at home.

Grant-Learns by doing. Uses energy well by doing projects-cutting paper and tracing pictures is where he concentrates the best.

In my own family (the one I grew up in) we've noticed a pattern--every third child has several similar qualities. Here are some examples:

1st and 4th: Both are very creative and love doing projects (it is kind of a family quality among the girls but these two seem to thrive on projects a little more than others). Look alike (that is now that they're older). Sometimes have strong opinions about where to eat, what to do when everyone is together etc. (this usually helps combat the "I don't know, what do you want to do" problem in some families). Have great ideas about fun activities to do. Willing to work hard to pull off a great dinner or activity.

2 and 5th: Fair coloring. Same nose. Introspective. Slender. Blonde, blonde hair. (family: please add to this one. I always get stumped).

3 and 6th: Both born cross-eyed. Hair grows the same (although only 1 has helmet hair). Both kind of layed back. Peacemakers (at least when young-Zach I'm not including the time I kicked a hole in the door when you provoked me). Of course each person has their own personality. It is interesting though to see some obvious similarities.

7 comments:

leigh said...

So I don't think K and Z are that much alike actually. And I don't think they have the same nose. And I'm going to have to say that you're not (and neither is anyone else) as laid back as Andy. But I agree with everything else, pretty much.

Katie said...

Thankyou! Zach and I DO NOT have the same nose! I don't think we're that alike either.

emily said...

I think Katie and Zach were both very obedient. Of course, i have a unique view being the most extreme on this issue :) Mom told me just a few months ago that whenever she asked you or Zach or Katie to do anything, it always got done without issues. I was amazed. Don't remember what she said about Leigh and Andy, but i do remember that I was pretty much the opposite.

Also, I think Zach and Katie were both very content as kids. As adults probably too

Cheryl said...

Grammie and I think you are all FABULOUS and we are so lucky to have all of you in our family! Grammie has now entered the world of the bloggers as we have been at the computer for over 2 hours checking out all of the blogs. Thanks for all the fun entries.

tralina said...

You need to Psychologist to your CEO resume! You have a great family--and it sounds like you have great siblings too!

Julie said...

I love being update on your blog. You are so cleaver!!! Being a mom is a full time job and a half, don't you think? And you are especially good at it. I need lessons! Hope all is well - when is our next play date?

birdeeb said...

I agree with Julie I need lessons too! You seemed to really have it together! In my family the middle children were always, "I never got that..." Of course I was the youngest of 5 & I am totally the princess ;o). I say that because now that I am married and I now have to compete with the youngest in that family I now feel like a middle child (because my husband is...) and I say, "I never got that..." LOL I am no longer the princess...in that family anyway ;o)