Thursday, April 16, 2009

the Lisette way

I have this friend LISETTE. She impressed me with her non procrastinating ways long ago (well at least a few years ago). So here's what she does--when asked to do something she starts on it right away. Sounds easy right? Well, it is for me but I'm usually a 'write it down and get to it later' girl. But I've tried it these last few days with our house in Massachusetts and its worked great. Since we're in the middle of giving away--I mean selling our house, there's been quite a few things I've had to do. Call people, get information from one person to another etc. etc. Normally I would write down something I have to do and then do it later. I've found though that taking care of the thing right away usually saves me a lot of BRAIN SPACE. For example instead of thinking about calling a company to take care of our Title V inspection (septic system nonsense) I called around RIGHT AWAY to find someone that would do a good job. In 10 minutes I found that the company we had used previously had been sued numerous times and charged up to 3 times more than another well known and highly recommended company. Appointments were set and information was given to all who needed it in just a matter on minutes. (Woohoo-the inspection is over and we passed.)

There's something about writing things down that gnaws at me until I've finished it. (Note: this gnawing doesn't usually occur if I don't write things down but the embarrassment isn't worth it in the end--forgotten appointments, missing kids programs at school etc.) When I met Lisette, I really wanted to be more like her but it just seemed impossible with baby Grant. Life was a little more overwhelming then. Now I feel free to live the LISETTE way (well at least this week).

Good: just remembering
Better: writing things down
Best: the Lisette way

I miss you Lisette

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Is your house under contract then? I hope you sell it soon! I'm sure that that's just an added stress to your life right now! Good luck!

Charlotte said...

I've felt the pain of giving away a home. I'm sorry. Maybe I'll try the LT way, too. Sounds good.

Swimmingmom said...

How funny, I'm sure she'll blush when she reads your post. It is a good way though, and I should try to be more like that too!

Trueman twins said...

Ah shucks! You give me way too much credit! (Yes, Donna I did blush.) Thanks for being such an awesome friend. I sure do miss you! Are you coming out for the closing of your house? It would be wonderful to see you!