Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lesson from Lemonade


About once or twice a year I wake up with a really good idea about how to teach something to the kids. Here's last weeks inspiration:


Make homemade lemonade


Have the kids taste the lemon juice--I wish I had gotten pictures.


Talk about how much they don't like it.


Add sugar and water to the lemon juice.


Talk about how much better the sugar makes it taste.


Talk about how Lemonade is like speaking to each other. We can speak sourly to each other or we can speak in a lemonade way.


Practice saying "I don't want to play with you" "Be quiet" and "Give that to me" in lemon juice ways and lemonade ways. The kids loved this part (except grumpy Jordan wouldn't participate--but I could tell he wanted to). They exaggerated speaking really mean and then really nice.


The best part: they got it and I didn't even lecture (a terrible tendency of mine).

6 comments:

Libby said...

I love that idea! Thanks so much for sharing it!

jhoopes said...

You are very clever on many levels. Impressive. :)

Liz said...

Great idea Mrs. June Cleaver :)

tralina said...

You are brilliant! I hope your summer is going well!!

Leah said...

LOVE the idea! I'm going to have to remember it for sure!!

Trueman twins said...

Great idea! I love your little lessons! We did it yesterday with limes and had a nice little lesson along with yummy limeade all afternoon. I thought of you each time. I told the kids when I hear them arguing- hey just like now! if they are "sweet" or "sour." Xander just replied "sour" and changed his ways. THANKS! It works great!