Monday, September 15, 2008

Swing Therapy

A few days ago I took a last minute trip to the playground with Grant and Alex. The playground is usually a very BORING place to be (for me) but since we were with friends it was doable. After pushing the boys on the swings FOREVER I did some swinging by myself, totally ignoring their requests, "push me mom." I LOVE swinging. I have always loved it. After reading Raising Your Spirited Child and a few pages of Raising a Sensory Smart Child I realize that I need things in my day like swinging. Sometimes I find myself wandering around the house. I'm antsy and can't really focus on one thing. I go from playing the piano to doing a few dishes to sitting down looking at the mail. I never finish anything and can't seem to be satisfied with any particular thing. Its times like these that having a swing, going for a jog, playing soccer with the kids, or jumping on the trampoline can make a huge difference. Its like being recharged. It leaves me feeling happy and ready to focus on one task. Of course the kids need this kind of variety in activities too, especially when they are restless.

4 comments:

smart mama said...

great reminder- i think about this for kidsbut i forget it for myself- but swinging in adulthood makes me want to throw up--

Jamie said...

smart mama. So sad about the swing nausea. I know though that you find painting very therapeutic. Actually I do to-if I could just get over the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing and go to it, without a two-year old-he likes to paint himself.

Jodi said...

That's such a great idea! I have such a scatter-brained mind right now, that might just help!

birdeeb said...

Yeah so true....I like to take the kids on walks & so tonight after work I made sandwiches, brought chips & grapes along...and of course water ;o) And we walked about 2 miles to the park & then 2 miles back. It is so nice for me to get out of the house!! The kids love it too & sometimes I think they will be great memories to remember mom by...not the crazy mom at home yelling every 5 min! haha. My boy tonight said, "Can we do this again next week?" Awww I was like, "Yeah we could do this again I think." We like to play Pooh Sticks on our walks over the bridges haha ;o) Good times!