Monday, July 21, 2008

READY

I've been feeling lately like an unprepared batter standing at the plate without helmet and bat. The balls are coming fast and hard and there's nothing I can do about it. That's what happens to me when I wake up at the same time the kids do. They need me right now and I'm not ready to help them. So I've determined once again to wake up early in the morning and take care of myself first before they get up. I figure if I do it for a few weeks straight I'll have it down again. I'm so much happier when I've showered, dressed, gotten my hair done and makeup on, read my scriptures, exercised and organized the day a little (including thinking about meals) before the kids get up. It kind of sounds like a lot of things to do but only then do I feel like that prepared batter: helmet on, toes square to the plate, ready for anything.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear! I woke up the same way today and struggled to feel like I could face organizing the day for everyone. These carefree days are fun, but I am missing the structure that keeps me as a mom on my toes. I'll get up right with you (2 hours earlier) this week and see if things get better!
PS morning prayer (aka pleading) did help TONS today, so bare minimum can work at times.

Tami said...

I totally agree--it makes such a huge difference when I get up and ready before my kids. Unfortunately it's not a habit--something I need to work on since it truly betters the day!

Libby said...

Best of luck to you. How early are you getting up to pull it off?

LL said...

couldn't agree with you more...and you're right, it will soon become habit.
You've always seem the type to be ahead of the game...helmet or not, you're a homerun hitter! cute mom, with the cutest little family. we miss you guys!

smart mama said...

oh i need to do that too- lots of things fly at me (literally and figuratively!) its that getting my tired body out of bed part i fail miserably at!

Jamie said...

Libby,
I woke up at 4:30 yesterday (you know how you get excited on the first day of a new thing) and 5:00 today. 5:00 is the target. I have to say, though I fell asleep after two seconds of laying down, things were a lot smoother yesterday--still hard but at least I didn't have to miss another workout or scripture time.

Swimmingmom said...

Good for you, Jamie! I was good at this a few months ago. It does make a big difference. I really want to do get back in the habit, but lately dd has been waking up around 5:15. I just can't get up much earlier. Maybe I should try harder;-) Hey, by the way, you look so great in that pic. on the post below.