Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fasting and don't save your chocolate

Once a month is fast Sunday at church. We go without food and water for a couple of meals and pray for a specific purpose. Today the purpose was Jordan's idea-getting along with each other better. So today after we ended out fast with a prayer, we got ready for dinner. Katie asked what she could do to help. Jordan offered me the last of his flavored water even though he wanted the rest. At dinner Alex got cups and water for everyone when he noticed nobody had any. Everyone spoke kindly (except Grant, he's a little slow to catch on). When Jordan asked for more chips and there weren't any left, Katie and Alex both offered him some (their idea not mine)--amazing! This kind of thing is so rare for us. It was a fun and enjoyable dinner. I started telling the kids that fasting works. We also talked about how the house feels different and warm when we are nice to each other and looking for ways to help each other out. Without any prompting the kids started shouting out ways to be nice to each other. Alex is usual the most excited to talk about how to do better. He was coming up with all kinds of ideas like, "I know, when someone is mean to you, don't be mean back." So in the middle of this conversation Alex said all of the sudden, "I'm not going to save chocolate anymore because it melts." I love his 5 year old mind, always going in more than one direction. The moral of the story: fasting works and don't save your chocolate.

9 comments:

LL said...

VERY good point. made me laugh. Hooray for a testimony of the fast, no matter what age.
cute

Cheri said...

Awww, what a great story. It's nice to see things actually work when you need them to, in this case to show your kids that fasting works.

Angela said...

I hate it when your chocolate melts! You have a great family. What I love is that your having these experiences and RECORDING them. Its so great.

Charlotte said...

What a great family you are! I have long way to go--fasting makes me grouchy.

Anonymous said...

That's great Jamie! I love hearing about your kids' improvements. Makes me think of Elder Eyring's talk when he said that people are praying for unity in their homes and God is answering that prayer.

Um, I was wondering why Alex was worried about his chocolate melting.

Christy said...

Hey, it just makes sense right?
We saved chocolate in the car for the ride home Sunday, and ended up in the tub soon after. We won't do it again either!

Swimmingmom said...

See, fasting does really work. What a great story to have recorded for your family!

Trueman twins said...

I agree! Don't save your chocolate! That should be consumed immediately. What a nice dinner you guys had. I love to see the kids really understanding gospel principles.

Kate said...

What a great testimony.
By the way, I LOVED seeing your reorganization projects. That's my favorite thing to do. I love it. I can't believe you guys had SNOW!