Saturday, October 25, 2008

FORTIFY

We were reading the scriptures tonight and talking about how in times of war, armies worked hard to fortify cities. "The prophet tells us we need to fortify our homes. Does that mean we should build a big wall around our house?" I asked. Here were the responses:

Jordan: "No, its not a wall, its the spirit and it starts in the middle of our home and makes a big shield that you can't see."

Alex: "Yeah, its like a force field." I could see his wheels spinning and was sure he was remembering the Star Wars computer game he was playing earlier today.

Katie: "Yeah, I don't think that's what its talking about."

I could see the kids minds were very likely running in the wrong direction and added, "so when we are nice to each other the fortification works really well and when we are mean and fight the force field totally does not work." I wish I could have taken a picture of Alex's face. He was staring off into space, no doubt thinking of how our family applied to Star Wars. I love listening to their ideas.

6 comments:

Kate said...

I love it! I love the things kids come up with.
I loved your story in the previous post. It was a good reminder to me to acknowledge the Lord's hand in my life.

Tami said...

Sounds like a very productive family scripture study to me! I've been thinking of the need to fortify my family so much lately, especially with all that is going on here in California!

leigh said...

I was thinking of Violet Incredible's forcefield. I liket he forcefield idea, maybe I'll use it sometime.

Libby said...

Anytime you can connect the scriptures to Star Wars, they will remember it. :o)

birdeeb said...

That sounds so cute! ;o) We need to do FHE, but I find it so hard! Especially when my hubby works :o(.

smart mama said...

very cute- this sounds like something that would go down at our house