Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"My Durn"


One of the benefits of having older siblings is that you learn some great things just by living, like how to hit your sister and run, how to properly hold a baby doll (tightly around the neck) and how to operate the DVD player (always carry the DVD around the house for a while before loading it into the machine). Grant has been saying, "my durn" (my turn) lately. He wants to do what Alex is doing. Almost every time I'm doing a reading lesson with Alex Grant runs in and says, "my durn." Because of it he has learned the letter sounds for m, s and a. He can almost get them right every time he sees those letters. Most of my kids have had no interest in reading until at least the age of 4 but Grant seems to have a little more desire to be like the other kids. So when I was flossing Alex's teeth last night with his head in my lap (can you believe he had 8 cavities filled in the last few months just after the hygienist was telling us his teeth looked perfect--all cavities were hidden in between his very young teeth) Grant said, "my durn" and just like Alex--said, "ow, ow" every tooth I flossed. So great to have to put forth less effort with each child (except for the early learned pestering).
Grant always squints when told to smile.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I was just talking to Katie and I asked her to translate "my dern" for some strange reason I thought it meant Darn or something but not I understand that it means "my turn" haha

Jamie said...

Andy,
I changed the spelling so that hopefully others aren't confused. Thanks for pointing that out.